Plant clinics are staffed by Sumter County Master Gardener volunteers under the leadership of UF/IFAS Sumter County Extension Master Gardener Coordinator/Residential Horticulture Agent, Jim Davis. Plant clinics offer various services such as identification of plant pests or problems, turf maintenance, palm care, as well as provide information and assistance on general landscape maintenance. Plant clinics are open to all Sumter County residents.
If you are submitting a plant sample, please follow these guidelines.
Submission Guidelines for Plant Clinics:
- Bring in the portion of the plant that is affected or just showing signs of damage. Please do not bring in dead plant samples, as it is very hard to determine the exact cause of decline.
- Bring plant specimens in a box, wrapped in newspaper or freezer bag. Place insect specimens in rubbing alcohol to prevent desiccation.
- Please include your name, telephone or e-mail address on submitted samples.
Internet Submission Guidelines:
- Take a picture of the damaged area, as well as the overall plant.
- Send pictures that are of good quality. Close-ups should be clear. Fuzzy or poor quality pictures make it very difficult to diagnose problems.
- Please list as much information as possible concerning the maintenance and care of the plant prior to submission. For example, when the problem started happening, watering and/or irrigation frequency, amount and type of fertilizer applied and the most recent pesticide applications.
- Please send pictures that are 4 MB or less.
- Send pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to attend the plant clinic, but wish to bring in a sample of the plant, please feel free to drop off the sample at our Sumter County Extension Office, located at 7620 County Road 471 Suite 2, during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of holidays.
Plant Clinic Locations
Time: Every Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Location: UF/IFAS Sumter County Extension 7620 SR 471 Suite 2, Bushnell, FL 33513. (Located in the Sumter County Fairgrounds)
Telephone number: (352) 793-2728 ext. 229
Time: Monday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
*Plant Clinic is closed Every Second Thursday*
Location: The Sumter County Government Annex Building, 8033 CR 466, The Villages
(Located on the corner of Morse Blvd. and CR 466).
Telephone number: (352) 689-4673