Plant clinics are staffed by Sumter County Master Gardener volunteers under the leadership of UF/IFAS Sumter County Extension Master Gardener Coordinator/Urban Horticulture Agent, Brooke Moffis. Plant clinics offer various services such as identification of plant pests or problems, turf maintenance, palm care, as well as provide information and assistance on general landscape maintenance.
If you are submitting a plant sample, please follow these guidelines.
Submission Guidelines for Plant Clinics:
- Bring in the portion of the plant that is affected or just showing signs of damage. Please do not bring in dead plant samples, as it is very hard to determine the exact cause of decline.
- Bring plant specimens in a box, wrapped in newspaper or freezer bag. Place insect specimens in rubbing alcohol to prevent desiccation.
- Please include your name, telephone or e-mail address on submitted samples.
Internet Submission Guidelines:
- Take a picture of the damaged area, as well as the overall plant.
- Send pictures that are of good quality. Close-ups should be clear. Fuzzy or poor quality pictures make it very difficult to diagnose problems.
- Please list as much information as possible concerning the maintenance and care of the plant prior to submission. For example, when the problem started happening, watering and/or irrigation frequency, amount and type of fertilizer applied and the most recent pesticide applications.
- Please send pictures that are 4 MB or less.
- Send pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to attend the plant clinic, but wish to bring in a sample of the plant, please feel free to drop off the sample at our Sumter County Extension Office, located at 7620 County Road 471 Suite 2, during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Plant Clinic Locations
Time: Every Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and every Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: Sumter County Fairgrounds 7620 SR 471 Suite 2, Bushnell, FL 33513.
Telephone number: (352) 793-2728 ext. 229
Time: Every Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Location: The Sumter County Government Annex Building, 8033 CR 466, The Villages
(located on the corner of Morse Blvd. and CR 466).
Telephone number: (352) 689-4673
Florida Gardens, Questions and Answers
Time: 1st Thursday of every month from 1:00 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
Location: Sterling Heights Recreation Center 2508 St. Charles Place, The Villages, FL 32162
*Must have a Villages I.D. to attend*
Telephone number: (352) 793-2728 ext. 222 or ext. 229